May Innovative Projects

Welcome to the Manor Education Foundation Innovation Forum. Each month we will reward a $500 bonus (courtesy of McDonald’s of Manor) to teachers that push the envelope in their classroom. Your fellow teachers will vote on the most innovative teachers and learn from your example in the process. Submit a nomination for yourself or another teacher and keep innovating! Submit your entries by May 31st!

What was the Innovative project you did this month?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Library Writing Buddies

All of our classes at OMES have a Library Reading Buddy class they meet with each week in the library to read books together. This month Mrs. Pecina's 3rd grade ELA classes brought their Writing Camp to their 1st grade library buddies from Mrs. Dyer's and Ms Kim's classes. The third graders shared their graphic organizers and personal narrative papers and then help the first graders write their own stories about their field trip to the Austin Zoo. See the results at http://animoto.com/play/phsAJIZXlkqR4jVPKqnDZg

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Crime Scene Project

A body has been found in the classroom with a knife / gun on the floor. A group of students found the body this morning. The deceased was on face down when discovered, and the room was in a little bit of disarray, chairs turned over and desks shoved out of place. Bloody carpet and the murder weapons were left at the scene along with other evidence!

Everyone in school is shocked and wondering what happened. When the police arrive they start to take statements, the Crime Scene Investigators (CSI) go to take a look at the scene. What will…

223 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Multi-sensory activities designed to identify skills or obstacles of attention span.

Students are given timed task directions and then shared insights of what helped them increase performance. Class identified their individual obstacles which may have hindered performance. Listening tasks, visual puzzles, timers and apps such as Lumosity were used to chart progress of focus, attention span and following directions more accurately. Comparisons were shared in regards to individual goals, interests in tasks and value of performance.

84 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Admin →
        • Walls and Hallways

Students are given a specific task. In our case it was "Make an old truck ROCK!"

Wall – The place that you hit that makes you think differently
          Hallway – the path that can accelerate or guide you to the next wall

This was a goal of installing a sound system with a large subwoofer in a 1969 truck.
          Using the internet to research subwoofer specifications, box design types, and vehicle modification ideas, the students created a subwoofer box and design specification that was able to be built and installed.
          This idea structure can be used for multiple types of…

38 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Admin →
          • Student lead recipe demo

Culinary arts students create a recipe (from any source, preferably from home) and then prepare a demo. They must use a script, all necessary supplies/resources/equipment, and possibly record on video to then be edited and made available on the culinary arts website. They can use an iPad or laptop to read from, but it would be best if a visual prompt was not used. The recipe should be a healthy food item that can be easily recreated in a home setting and with fresh homegrown foods, if possible.

55 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Admin →
            • Dance Video:Who I am

Using biographical journal entries students created dance gestures to embody who they are and where they come from. This movement was manipulated using several choreographic tools. Students used online videos to explore other movement from their culture and add this to the previous choreography. Students explored costumes and sound tracks from their personal journal entries. The final prodouct was a video created by each student using iMovie on either their iPads or phones.

8 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Ms. Bennett's and Ms. Perkins's 1st Period

Our 1st period classes have combined and are using technology daily! We are blogging at the beginning of every class using Blogger. Students are analyzing expository-like prompts, novels and their characters, and pictures and illustrations. Then, they are commenting on each other's blogs to create academic discussion via the internet! They are also using Haiku Deck, iMovie, Prezzi, and more to create projects that demonstrate their comprehension and analysis of their literature circle novels!

26 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)